Cannes Film Festival has revealed the selection for its Short Film Competition and Cinéfondation sections at the 2018 event.
The Short Films Competition comprises eight films (seven fiction and one animation) chosen from 3,943 submissions, including titles from Iran (Umbra), Australia (All These Creatures) and Poland (III).
In the Cinéfondation Selection, 17 films (14 live action and three animations) have been chosen from 2,426 submissions from film schools worldwide. Among those represented are Israel’s Steve Tisch School of Film & Television, Italy’s Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia and the UK’s NFTS and London Film School.
The films in this section originate from 14 different countries, and 12 of the 22 directors are women.
The Cinéfondation and Short Films Jury, presided over by French director, composer and screenwriter Bertrand Bonello (Nocturama), will chose the best films in both sections.
Three Cinéfondation prizes will be awarded in the Buñuel Theatre on May 17, with Bonello handing over the 2018 Short Film Palme d’Or to the winning Competition film at the official award ceremony on May 19.
- Gabriel (Fr) – dir. Oren Gerner
- Judgement (Phi) – Raymund Ribay Gutierrez
- Caroline (US) – Celine Held, Logan George
- Umbra (Iran) – Saeed Jafarian
- III (Pol) – Marta Pajek
- Duality (Jap) – Masahiko Sato, Genki Kawamura, Yutaro Seki, Masayuki Toyota, Kentaro Hirase
- On The Border (Chi) – Wei Shujun
- All These Creatures (Aus) – Charles William
- Rubber Dolphin (Steve Tisch School of Film & Television, Isr) – Ori Aharon
- End Of Season (The London Film School, UK) – Zhannat Alshanova
- Sailor’s Delight (ESMA, Fra) – Louise Aubertin, Éloîse Girard, Marine Meneyrol, Jonas Ritter, Loucas Rongeart, Amandine Thomoux
- Inanimate (NFTS, UK) – Lucia Bulgheroni
- The Summer Of The Electric Lion (Universidad de Chile, Chile) – Diego Céspedes
- Palm Trees And Power Lines (NYU Tisch School Of The Arts, USA) – Jamie Dack
- The Storms In Our Blood (Shanghai Theater Academy, Chi) – Di Shen
- A Piece of Tragedy (La Fémis, Fr) – Laura Garcia
- Five Minutes Outside (Universidad del Cine, Arg) – Constanza Gatti
- Hector’s Nightfall (CCC, Mex) – Ariel Gutiérrez
- Dots (AFTRS, Aus) – Eryk Lenartowicz
- The Other (PWSFTviT, Pol) – Marta Magnuska
- Equally Red And Blue (UNATC I.L. CARAGIALE, Rom) – Georgiana Moldoveanu
- As It Is On Earth (Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia, It) – Pier Lorenzo Pisano
- Calendar (Moscow School of New Cinema, Rus) – Igor Poplauhin
- Like A Good Kid (Tehran University of Dramatic Arts, Iran) – Arian Vazirdaftari
- I Am My Own Mother (San Francisco State University, US) – Andrew Zox