Toronto International Film Festival has called for applicaiton for TIFF Filmmaker Lab 2019. This program is open to emerging filmmakers with a minimum of two short-film credits and a maximum of one feature-film credit as a director or screenwriter. The five-day, feature film–focused programme takes place against the backdrop of the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival (September 5-15 2019). Mentorship is led by four acclaimed practitioners, who provide inspiration, encouragement, and guidance.
June 7 is the deadline for international applications. Tiff Filmmaker Lab is supported by TIFF’s Share Her Journey campaign and the RBC Female Creator Initiative.
Each year, 20 directors receive an exceptional artistic development experience, and an introduction to the global community of filmmaking. Participants interact with and learn from internationally acclaimed filmmakers and guests.
Over a five-day period, selected participants learn from internationally acclaimed filmmakers and guests, deepening their industry understanding and empowering them to move forward with their projects. Past mentors and speakers include: Julie Dash, Jane Campion, Juliette Binoche, Jim Stark, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, Ivan Reitman, Atom Egoyan, Sandra Oh, Darren Aronofsky, Lone Scherfig, Mia Hansen-Løve, Claire Denis, Agnieszka Holland, Jia Zhangke, Wim Wenders, Alfonso Cuarón, Spike Lee, Steve McQueen, Ava DuVernay, Cassian Elwes and Jean-Marc Vallée.
- TIFF Filmmaker Lab focuses on narrative storytelling and filmmaking.
- This program is open to emerging filmmakers with a minimum of two short-film credits and a maximum of one feature-film credit as a director or screenwriter.
- International applicants are welcome. All sessions are held in English, which applicants will need to be able to speak and understand fluently.
- Only one submission per applicant.
- Maximum of three total submissions to Filmmaker Lab per applicant over the last 10 years, i.e. if you have applied unsuccessfully on three different occasions in the past decade, you are not eligible to apply for the 2019 Lab.
- Applicants must submit a continuous one-minute excerpt of one film project (short film, feature film, documentary, or animation). The clip must not exceed one minute in length. If you have applied for TIFF Filmmaker Lab in previous years, you must re-apply with a different film clip. Online applications must be submitted by 5pm EST on Friday, May 17, 2019 for Canadian applicants and Friday, June 7, 2019 for international applicants.
- Applicants must submit a video pitch of less than two minutes in duration. The applicant should comment on their project and filmmaking approach, as well as why they want to participate in TIFF Filmmaker Lab.
- A five-day, feature film–focused programme from September 3 to 7
- Mentorship from TIFF’s programming team and expert guests
- Complimentary accreditation for the 2019 Toronto International Film Festival
- Complimentary accreditation for TIFF’s Industry Conference, Business Centre, and delegate resources
- Accommodation for all out-of-town participants
- Lunch on the four main days of the Lab
- Invitations to two networking cocktails and one official dinner
For more details: Click here